THE SPIRIT AWARD
Established in 2009, the WELV Spirit Award Is presented to a leader who has had a significant role in supporting the mission of WELV to promote women in all areas of education and to further the participation of women in higher levels of educational administration.
2019 Beth Baptist, Past President WELV
2018 Yvonne Smith-Jones, College of William and Mary, School of Education-SURN and HES, Impact Coach for 44 Virginia School Divisions
2017 Marceline Catlett, Deputy Superintendent of Fredericksburg City Public Schools,
2016 Paula Lichiello, WELV Higher Education Representative and Assistant Professor of Leadership Studies, Lynchburg College
2015 Gena Keller, WELV President and Superintendent of Fluvanna County Schools
2013 Margaret Blackmon, Executive Director of WELV and former Superintendent, Prince Edward County Public Schools
2012 Donna Plasket, Assistant Dean, School of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Virginia
2009 Pam Tucker, Professor, Curry School, University of Virginia
PURPOSE OF AWARD
This award is presented to an active member of WELV and leader, who, over her years of involvement in WELV, has made notable contributions to strengthen the organization.
Through her leadership and commitment to the organization she has advanced the mission of WELV.
CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION
- Particular and sustained contributions to the WELV·
- A record of service and leadership in education in Virginia with notable accomplishments as a leader·
- A record ofpromoting, supporting, and encouraging women in all areas of education, and furthering the participation of women in higher levels of educational leadership·
- Participation in WELV through membership and attendance at conferences·
- Commitment to the mission of WELV to promote women in all areas of education and to further the participation of women in higher levels of educational leadership.
Nomination Procedures: The nominator is to submit (1) a letter of nomination, referring specifically to stated criteria and citing examples, (2) a resume, and (3) two additional letters of recommendation from individuals who know well and can speak to the accomplishments of the nominee.
These materials are to be submitted electronically to the Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 1.
Selection Procedures: The Nominations Committee of the WELV Board will review completed nomination packetsand make recommendations, based on stated criteria, to the full WELV Board. The Board will make final decisions on the awards to be made at the upcoming Annual Conference.